- A large spiral-horned African antelope which lives in open woodland and grassland.
More example sentences
- Genus Tragelaphus, family Bovidae: the giant eland (T. derbianus) and the common eland (T. oryx)
- There are antelope species like eland, impala, puku, waterbuck, bushbuck and kudu whereas lion leopard, wild dog and hyaena are also present.
- Across the open grasslands are scattered various members of the antelope family - horned bushbucks, waterbucks, eland, topi, gazelle and impala.
- They are typically graceful, having long legs and horns, and include the eland, wildebeest, gazelle, springbok, hartebeest, impala, etc.
late 18th century: via Afrikaans from Dutch, 'elk', from obsolete German Elend, from Lithuanian élnis.
More definitions of elandDefinition of eland in:
- The US English dictionary