- An aberrant deep-water sea cucumber that lacks a respiratory tree. Most live on the seabed and have leg-like appendages, while some swim by means of webbed papillae.
More example sentences
- Order Elasipodida, class Holothuroidea
- Many specimens of the elasipod holothurian Penilpidia ludwigi were found among the swimmers captured by several sediment traps moored above the seafloor.
- There is no caecum except in the elasipods which possess a rectal pocket.
late 19th century: from modern Latin Elasipoda, from Greek elasmos 'beaten metal' + pous, pod- 'foot'.
More definitions of elasipodDefinition of elasipod in:
- The US English dictionary