A Cretaceous plesiosaur with a long neck shaped like that of a swan.
- Family Elasmosauridae, infraorder Plesiosauria: several genera, including Elasmosaurus
More example sentences
- The remains include the bones of dinosaurs, birds, and large marine reptiles such as mosasaurs and elasmosaurs, as well as fossilized sponges, mollusks, pine cones, and diverse fish teeth.
- Like the rest of the Plesiosauroidea, elasmosaurs had a barrel-shaped body with four paddle-shaped flippers.
- Storrs considers this species a synonym of P. guilelmiimperatoris, while Robert Bakker asserts that it is an early elasmosaur, and transfers it to the genus Microcleidus (as M. brachypterygius).
late 19th century: from modern Latin Elasmosaurus, from Greek elasmos 'beaten metal' + sauros 'lizard'.
More definitions of elasmosaurDefinition of elasmosaur in:
- The US English dictionary