Definition of elderly in English:
(Of a person) old or ageing: an elderly relative (as plural noun the elderly) specialist services for the elderly
More example sentences
- It would exclude blood relatives such as an elderly brother and sister living together.
- If you have an elderly neighbour or relative, look out for them in the winter months.
- It was being driven by an elderly lady with grey hair and had a female passenger with long, dark hair.
past one's prime, not as young as one was, not as young as one used to be;
septuagenarian, octogenarian, nonagenarian, centenarian
old people, older people, elderly people, elders, geriatrics, senior citizens, (old-age) pensioners, OAPs, retired people;
informal (golden) oldies, wrinklies
- elderliness noun
- Example sentences
- Because Virginia's fair housing law includes elderliness as a protected class it is broader than the federal fair housing law.
- The age of elderliness seems to be relative rather than absolute.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.