1(In the US) a body of people representing the states of the US, who formally cast votes for the election of the president and vice president.
- That was back before we really knew anything about electoral colleges, primaries, legislation, and ballot chads.
- Like any politician fighting in the electoral college, he only ever cared about tipping enough states over.
- One of the ways it could play out would be pressure to change the electoral college system.
1.1A body of electors chosen by a larger group.
- The electoral colleges for the legislative body therefore included 200 merchants, meeting at Brescia, 200 professional men, meeting at Bologna, and 300 landowners, meeting at Milan.
- Even in systems (like the US) where an electoral college or other body actually stands between the people and the final vote, the vote of the people is meant to direct that body.
- They created the electoral college as a body of wise and thoughtful individuals, dedicated to choosing a statesmanlike leader who would govern in the interests of the country.
Definition of electoral college in:
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.