noun[usually as title] • historical
- The wife of a German elector.More example sentences
- This secured the crown for Princess Sophia, the electress of Hanover, who was James I's granddaughter.
- Friedrich August's consort was the Archduchess Maria Josefa, elder daughter of Emperor Josef I, sister of the Bavarian electress Maria Amalia and first cousin of the Empress Maria Theresia.
- The Hanoverians, who were summoned in 1714 as the nearest Protestant heirs, were related to the Stuarts and previous British dynasties through Sophia, electress of Hanover, mother of George I and granddaughter of James VI and I.
More definitions of electressDefinition of electress in:
- The US English dictionary