Definition of electrolyte in English:
1A liquid or gel which contains ions and can be decomposed by electrolysis, e.g. that present in a battery.
- Primary alkaline batteries use sodium hydroxide or potassium hydroxide as the electrolyte.
- This electricity splits the water molecules in an electrolyte, producing hydrogen.
- Gold plating is done in much the same way, using a gold anode and an electrolyte containing gold cyanide, AuCN.
2 (electrolytes) Physiology The ionized or ionizable constituents of a living cell, blood, or other organic matter.
- This is an opportunity to take blood for checking full blood count, urea and electrolytes, blood group, and clotting screen.
- Proud to know how to handle oliguria in a baby, I checked his blood pressure and electrolytes.
- The white blood cell count and serum electrolytes were within normal ranges.
Words that rhyme with electrolyteIsraelite • corallite
Definition of electrolyte in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.