- (Of a molecule or group) having a tendency to attract or acquire electrons. Often contrasted with nucleophilic.More example sentences
- Methyl lithium is very reactive and acts as a nucleophilic methylating reagent to electrophilic functional groups, such as ketones.
- In the mining industry, the production of TNT is made possible by the electrophilic nitration of toluene (methyl benzene).
- Addition reactions of electrophilic reagents to the alkene double bond (yielding substituted alkenes) are the most typical.
- More example sentences
- As a result, carbonyl compounds can form carbon anions and act as nucleophiles rather than electrophiles.
- Many of these vinyl compounds are made by the reaction of acetylene with electrophiles.
- Alkylating agents are electrophiles that add methyl, ethyl and more complicated alkyl groups to nucleic acid bases.
More definitions of electrophilicDefinition of electrophilic in:
- The US English dictionary