Definition of electrophilic in English:
(Of a molecule or group) having a tendency to attract or acquire electrons. Often contrasted with nucleophilic.
- Methyl lithium is very reactive and acts as a nucleophilic methylating reagent to electrophilic functional groups, such as ketones.
- In the mining industry, the production of TNT is made possible by the electrophilic nitration of toluene (methyl benzene).
- Addition reactions of electrophilic reagents to the alkene double bond (yielding substituted alkenes) are the most typical.
- Example sentences
- As a result, carbonyl compounds can form carbon anions and act as nucleophiles rather than electrophiles.
- Many of these vinyl compounds are made by the reaction of acetylene with electrophiles.
- Alkylating agents are electrophiles that add methyl, ethyl and more complicated alkyl groups to nucleic acid bases.
Definition of electrophilic in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India