Definition of electroplate in English:
verb[with object] (usually as noun electroplating)
Coat (a metal object) by electrolytic deposition with chromium, silver, or another metal: all the processes involved in electroplating (as adjective electroplated) electroplated copper
More example sentences
- In the second half of the 1920s he experimented with electroplating metal to a plaster core.
- Plated silver is silver that has been electroplated over another metal.
- The frequencies of chromosome aberrations, sister chromatid exchanges and micronuclei have been found to be elevated in peripheral lymphocytes of chromium electroplating workers.
noun[mass noun] Back to top
- Indeed it was partly a reaction to mass-production and a decline in standards of design, in which electroplate was perceived to play a major part, that encouraged moves for design reform and the setting up of the Museum.
- Most of the Sheffield Plate that appears on the market is in relatively good condition, whereas much of the 19th century electroplate is very much the worse for wear.
- Truly revolutionary, though, are Dresser's designs for toast racks, jugs, tureens and suchlike, manufactured in electroplate and ebonised wood.
- electroplater noun
- Example sentences
- For almost four years, he had worked as an electroplater, and he had recently qualified as a forklift truck driver.
- He is listed in the Liverpool directories as a ‘working jeweller, electroplater and gilder’ with his workshop, front 1870 to 1884, in the city centre.
- This datasheet lists, in a standard format, different hazards to which electroplaters may be exposed in the course of their normal work.
Definition of electroplate in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.