Definition of electroreception in English:
The detection by an aquatic animal of electric fields or currents.
- Also given are some mechanisms of sensation, for which we have no experience: infrared vision, electroreception, and vibration detection by lateral line organs.
- The paddlefish uses its electrosense for detecting planktonic food, a novel adaptation of passive electroreception based on an extensive array of ampullary receptors on its head and elongated rostrum.
- It has been proposed that the nasal tentacles of the starnosed mole Condylura cristata might be used for a form of electroreception underwater, although this has been disputed.
- Example sentences
- In active electroreception, the animal senses its surrounding environment by generating electric fields and detecting distortions in these fields using electroreceptor organs.
- Electroreceptor cells have been extensively studied in a variety of species.
Definition of electroreception in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan