- The detection by an aquatic animal of electric fields or currents.More example sentences
- Also given are some mechanisms of sensation, for which we have no experience: infrared vision, electroreception, and vibration detection by lateral line organs.
- The paddlefish uses its electrosense for detecting planktonic food, a novel adaptation of passive electroreception based on an extensive array of ampullary receptors on its head and elongated rostrum.
- It has been proposed that the nasal tentacles of the starnosed mole Condylura cristata might be used for a form of electroreception underwater, although this has been disputed.
- More example sentences
- In active electroreception, the animal senses its surrounding environment by generating electric fields and detecting distortions in these fields using electroreceptor organs.
- Electroreceptor cells have been extensively studied in a variety of species.
More definitions of electroreceptionDefinition of electroreception in:
- The US English dictionary