Definition of electrotype in English:
verb[with object] (often as noun electrotyping)
Make a copy of (something) by the electrolytic deposition of copper on a mould: the acid copper solution is largely employed in electrotyping
More example sentences
- Electrotyping is an application of the art of electroplating to typography, used for making duplicate plates for relief printing.
- Standing newspaper matter may be stereotyped -- unless it contains cuts, when it should be electrotyped -- but should be cast on metal base to avoid shrinking and swelling.
nounBack to top
An electrotyped copy.
- The 19th century was remarkable for its technological advances in the printing process, with the introduction of linotype, electrotype, stereotype and - in the 20th century - monotype, along with the mechanical manufacture of paper.
- The innovation of electrotypes in the mid-19th century added yet another dimension to the art of copying.
- Ring manufacturers participated in the campaign through radio advertising and by sending out newspaper electrotypes to be used by jewelers across the country.
- Example sentences
- The engravings, after having been cut on the plates, were sent to the electrotyper.
- A ten-digit keyboard is provided for transferring digital information to an electrotyper.
Words that rhyme with electrotypedaguerreotype
Definition of electrotype in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Spain
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan