Definition of electrovalent in English:
(Of bonding) resulting from electrostatic attraction between positive and negative ions; ionic.
- Another type of bond that occurs when electrons are transferred between atoms is called an ionic bond (or electrovalent bond).
- Scientists also call ionic bonds electrovalent bonds.
- The bond that is formed between the two ions is an ionic bond (sometimes also called an electrovalent bond), and the compound produced is an ionic compound.
1920s: from electro- + -valent, on the pattern of trivalent.
- Example sentences
- Electrovalence is just another word for something that has given up its electron and become an ion.
- The receptor recognition site can change its electrovalence and exchange divalent or monovalent counter ions for either decamethonium or muscarone.
Definition of electrovalent in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan