Definition of elementary school in English:
1North American A primary school for the first six or eight grades.
- Eight elementary schools, two high schools, and one middle school participated in this research study.
- In 6th grade the elementary schools merged into middle schools.
- Participants were children in seven elementary schools (grades primary through six) in Eastern Canada.
1.1British historical A school where children were taught between the ages of five and thirteen.
- From public schools to elementary schools, the history of the empire was still little taught, while for most young people Empire Day meant an extra holiday rather than a commitment to dominion over palm and pine.
- Two years earlier, grants for teaching music in elementary schools were introduced for the first time.
- When my kids were in elementary school 40 years ago they were taught to hide under desks in case of an atom bomb attack.
Definition of elementary school in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan