- A large pinkish hawkmoth with greenish-bronze markings. The foreparts of the caterpillar have eyespots and sometimes resemble an elephant’s trunk.
More example sentences
- Genus Deilephila, family Sphingidae: several species, in particular the common D. elpenor
- This past March this column noted the first-ever evidence of an animal - the elephant hawkmoth - seeing color by night.
- The elephant hawkmoth locates flowers in the dark of night and feeds on their nectar.
- The large elephant hawk-moth is one of our more brightly coloured moths.