- A small insectivorous African mammal with a long mobile snout, long hindlimbs, and a rat-like tail.
More example sentences
- Family Macroscelididae and order Macroscelidea: four genera and many species; sometimes placed in the order Insectivora
- The horseshoe bat, the three-horned chameleon, the rare zanj elephant shrew is also found here - as can many small rare reptiles and many colorful insects.
- This behavior is seen in different lineages of both solitary and social species and has been documented in three species of kangaroo rat, two species of social gerbil, elephant shrews; and prairie dogs.
- Species specific footdrumming patterns are documented in gerbils, elephant shrews and kangaroo rats.