A tiny owl that nests in cacti and trees in the arid country of the southern US and Mexico.
- Micrathene whitneyi, family Strigidae
More example sentences
- Here, I got a great view of an elf owl and marveled at the way its plumage blended in with the tree trunk behind him.
- Our three top birders hurry to see an off-course Baikal teal behind an ice-cream shop in Denver; in Tucson they sit with 20 people around the base of a telephone pole at dusk, hoping to spot an elf owl.
- Several owl boxes will attract elf owls and would give you a better chance to see those elusive creatures.
Definition of elf owl in:
- The US English dictionary