- 1The belief that a society or system should be led by an elite: local government in the nineteenth century was the very essence of elitismMore example sentences
- But the elitism and the populism in this claim are less far apart than they might seem.
- The spirit of American democracy is opposed to elitism.
- It is also expected to speed up the reform of a judiciary that is dominated by elitism and conservatism.
- 1.2The superior attitude or behaviour associated with an elite: he accused her of racism and white elitismMore example sentences
- The elitism often associated with opera seems to have become more pronounced in the last hundred years, with ticket prices being a possible contributory factor.
- If this is the case, then the future for the modern idea of the university and its associated elitism looks bleak.
- It is clear that your hate is founded in your arrogant elitism and your rank racism… I love you liberals… or is it communists?
More definitions of elitismDefinition of elitism in:
- The US English dictionary