noun[mass noun] Chemistry
- A compound extracted from oak galls and various fruits and nuts. It has some ability to inhibit blood flow and retard the growth of cancer cells.
More example sentences
- A tetracyclic phenol; chemical formula: C14H6O8
- Red wine and its non-alcoholic equal, purple grape juice, are brimming with the antioxidants resveratrol, grapeseed anthocyanidins, quercitin, ellagic acid, phenolic flavonoids, and epicatechin.
- The fruit also has anthocyanin, which may inhibit cholesterol formation, and ellagic acid, which may block the initiation stage of cancer.
- A powerful antioxidant and rich source of ellagic acid (inhibits many types of chemical carcinogens including tobacco smoke), Georgian pomegranate helps to reduce blood pressure and the risk of coronary artery disease.
early 19th century: ellagic from French ellagique (an anagram of galle 'gall nut' + -ique), thus avoiding the form gallique, already in use.
More definitions of ellagic acidDefinition of ellagic acid in:
- The US English dictionary