- A regular oval shape, traced by a point moving in a plane so that the sum of its distances from two other points (the foci) is constant, or resulting when a cone is cut by an oblique plane which does not intersect the base.More example sentences
- For example he shows how to deform a circle into an ellipse and proves other results on deforming conic sections.
- There are three non-degenerate conics: the ellipse, the parabola, and the hyperbola.
- The first law states that the orbit of a satellite is an ellipse, and that one of the foci of the ellipse must be located at the centre of the Earth.
late 17th century: via French from Latin ellipsis (see ellipsis).
More definitions of ellipseDefinition of ellipse in:
- The US English dictionary