A three-dimensional figure symmetrical about each of three perpendicular axes, whose plane sections normal to one axis are circles and all the other plane sections are ellipses.
- It was found that the maximum total force is experienced when the major axis of the ellipsoid is perpendicular to the flow and the minimum when it is aligned.
- He gave a proof of a result due to Maclaurin, that the attractions at an external point lying on the principal axis of two confocal ellipsoids was proportional to their masses.
- The shape of the red cell during the tank-tread motion resembles a triaxial ellipsoid with the longest axis almost parallel to the direction of the undisturbed flow.
- Example sentences
- The particles may have any shape or size, but they are generally spherical, ellipsoidal, polyhedral, or irregular in shape.
- The oil-bearing fluid inclusion morphologies include spherical, oval, ellipsoidal, lath-like and irregular shapes, although there is no obvious relationship between inclusion morphology and quartz cement history.
- A primary concave parabolic mirror converges the light to one focus of a concave ellipsoidal mirror.
For editors and proofreaders
Line breaks: el¦lips|oid
Definition of ellipsoid in:
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.