Definition of elliptic in English:
Relating to or having the form of an ellipse.
- Lechea minor can be easily distinguished from that species by its stems more than 5 cm tall, ovate to elliptic leaves and ovoid capsules.
- Curves (such as the trigonometric polynomials of elliptic Fourier analysis) may be fit to such an outline, and then compared through statistical analysis of their parameters.
- The theorem holds in spherical and elliptic geometry.
early 18th century: from Greek elleiptikos 'defective', from elleipein 'leave out, fall short'.
- Example sentences
- We suggest that the decrease in the enthalpy and loss of ellipticity are caused by the loss of approximately four helical turns of coiled coil that correspond to the N-terminal TM portion of the peptide.
- The increase in the CD signal corresponded to a time-dependent decrease in ellipticity at a wavelength typical for [alpha] helical signals.
- The enthalpy ([Delta] H) and entropy ([Delta] S) of folding for the tropomyosin and troponin T peptides were determined from the change in ellipticity as previously described.
Definition of elliptic in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India