Definition of elliptic in English:
Relating to or having the form of an ellipse.
- Lechea minor can be easily distinguished from that species by its stems more than 5 cm tall, ovate to elliptic leaves and ovoid capsules.
- Curves (such as the trigonometric polynomials of elliptic Fourier analysis) may be fit to such an outline, and then compared through statistical analysis of their parameters.
- The theorem holds in spherical and elliptic geometry.
- Example sentences
- We suggest that the decrease in the enthalpy and loss of ellipticity are caused by the loss of approximately four helical turns of coiled coil that correspond to the N-terminal TM portion of the peptide.
- The increase in the CD signal corresponded to a time-dependent decrease in ellipticity at a wavelength typical for [alpha] helical signals.
- The enthalpy ([Delta] H) and entropy ([Delta] S) of folding for the tropomyosin and troponin T peptides were determined from the change in ellipticity as previously described.
Early 18th century: from Greek elleiptikos 'defective', from elleipein 'leave out, fall short'.
Words that rhyme with ellipticapocalyptic, cryptic, diptych, glyptic, styptic, triptych
Definition of elliptic in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.