Definition of emerge in English:
- But the spectacle can cloy and a sadness lingers after the pageant has moved on as householders emerge with shovels and brooms to sweep away all trace of their work.
- No birds are perched on the board; however, the head of a single cormorant, its signature white throat clearly visible, just emerges from the waters of the lagoon ahead of the barge.
- Julia stands alone in the middle of the road, unable to move, until Steven emerges from the carriage and slowly leads her back.
- The new spectacularly rises from the old like a butterfly emerging from a chrysalis.
- Release the butterfly where it was captured as soon as it emerges from its chrysalis.
- The title may refer to a process, as when a butterfly emerges from the chrysalis.
- The picture emerging yesterday was confused at best.
- He said he was confident that they would put up an impressive show and eventually emerge winners.
- The difference only emerges in the context in which it applies within the count in the indictment.
- The crash occurred on Sunday, but the amazing survival stories only emerged yesterday.
- During the hearing, one critical piece of evidence emerged which could prove very damaging to the government.
- Details of C & C executives' basic salaries also emerged yesterday.
- But hope persists that the UUP risk-taker can emerge relatively unscathed from this election.
- Despite the complications, the surgeries typically go smoothly and most tarantulas emerge unscathed.
- From nearly 50 years of complex warfare the house of Wessex had emerged triumphant.
late 16th century (in the sense 'become known, come to light'): from Latin emergere, from e- (variant of ex-) 'out, forth' + mergere 'to dip'.
merge from (mid 17th century):
Latin mergere ‘to dip, plunge’ is the source of merge and emerge (late 16th century). Merge was initially used to mean ‘immerse’ oneself in a particular way of life, with the modern sense appearing in the 19th century via business use.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.