Definition of emery in English:
1A greyish-black form of corundum containing iron oxide or other impurities, used in powdered form as an abrasive.
- These included quartz, garnet and emery which were mixed with water to make a slurry and applied with rotary tools, such as wheels and drills, as well as non-rotary files.
- Surfaces can be smoothed down by rasps, files, and rifflers or by carborundum and emery, and the addition of water avoids a build-up of dust.
- When the roughcast was delivered to me, I had to stop up the air holes and the core hole, to correct the various defects, and to polish the bronze with files and very fine emery.
1.1 [as modifier] Denoting materials coated with emery for polishing, smoothing, or grinding: emery paper
More example sentences
- We shampoo them, comb the tails and polish the horns with emery paper, and they love it,’ he says.
- It is done by hand, using a lathe to spin the barrel and a skilled touch with fine emery paper to polish the barrel to fit the bushing.
- For safety's sake, use an emery cloth to sand the cut edges of your newly shortened rake.
Definition of emery in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan