- A person who leaves their own country in order to settle permanently in another: she was a Polish emigrant who came to Scotland during the Second World War [as modifier]: emigrant workersMore example sentences
- The influx of a huge number of returning emigrants and migrant workers was the last thing that was needed.
- However in hard economic times Irish emigrants had sent remittances home to sustain their families in Ireland.
- Many other emigrants subsequently settled in Dublin and the other major urban centres in the country.
mid 18th century: from Latin emigrant- 'migrating from', from the verb emigrare (see emigrate).
More definitions of emigrantDefinition of emigrant in:
- The US English dictionary