- 1A title of various Muslim (mainly Arab) rulers: HRH the Emir of KuwaitMore example sentences
- They selected various people and called them kings, emirs and sheikhs.
- The amir of Kuwait is not claiming to be a caliph!
- In 1999, the emir of Kuwait dissolved parliament and, along with a variety of other liberalizing measures, sought to grant women the right to vote by decree.
- 1.1 • historical A Muslim (usually Arab) military commander or local chief: emirs giving nominal allegiance to the caliphMore example sentences
- And there was absolutely strict obedience to the amir - or commander - of the overall operations.
- His family had been inducted into Mughal hierarchy as amirs (nobles).
- A hundred Mameluks under the command of an emir entered the castle to oversee the transfer.
late 16th century (denoting a male descendant of Muhammad): from French émir, from Arabic 'amīr (see amir).
More definitions of emirDefinition of emir in:
- The US English dictionary