- The rank, lands, or reign of an emir: [as name]: the United Arab EmiratesMore example sentences
- The United Arab Emirates is a confederation of seven sheikdoms (regions headed by a sheik or emir), or emirates, located on the shore of the Persian Gulf.
- He teaches in Abu Dhabi, the official capital of the UAE, as well as the Abu Dhabi Emirate, the wealthiest emirate in the country, thanks to the good old oil.
- In fact, UAE nationals currently comprise fewer than 20 percent of the inhabitants of Abu Dhabi Emirate, and many of them are citizens of other emirates belonging to the Federation.
More definitions of emirateDefinition of emirate in:
- The US English dictionary