- A representation of a facial expression such as a smile or frown, formed by various combinations of keyboard characters and used in electronic communications to convey the writer’s feelings or intended tone: flag your jokes with emoticons, such as a smiley face :-), to avoid misunderstandingsMore example sentences
- It is important when you e-mail, that you use emoticons to relay the tone of your e-mail.
- I thought the whole point of an emoticon was to convey an emotion or facial expression.
- On my cell phone I can receive text messages, and I can choose to use emoticons (iconic characters and messages) on the Internet.
More definitions of emoticonDefinition of emoticon in:
- The US English dictionary