- A Spanish or Latin American pastry turnover filled with a variety of savoury ingredients and baked or fried.More example sentences
- After the museum, they stopped for a brief snack: tuna empanadas, a flat pastry with pine nuts, doughnuts with an odd but alluring flavor of lemon.
- A common snack item, popular throughout Ecuador, is empanadas - small pastries filled with meat, onions, eggs, and olives.
- A staple, tasty snack is the empanada, a fried cornmeal turnover sometimes stuffed with cheese, meat, or chicken.
Spanish, feminine past participle (used as a noun) of empanar 'roll in pastry', based on Latin panis 'bread'.
More definitions of empanadaDefinition of empanada in:
- The US English dictionary