- An arrangement of stabilizing surfaces at the tail of an aircraft.More example sentences
- The gunner never had a chance as the whole empennage of the aircraft had separated resulting in the bomber spinning out of control.
- The empennage boom formed a tail cone to the aft beam.
- The empennage was built integral with the fuselage to ensure absolute rigidity.
early 20th century: from French, from empenner 'to feather an arrow', from em- 'in' + penne 'a feather' (from Latin penna).
More definitions of empennageDefinition of empennage in:
- The US English dictionary