noun[mass noun] Medicine
- 1 (also pulmonary emphysema) A condition in which the air sacs of the lungs are damaged and enlarged, causing breathlessness: smoking can lead to serious lung diseases such as emphysemaMore example sentences
- Remember asthma affects the lung tubes primarily and emphysema the air sacs.
- Then we need to add chronic lung diseases such as emphysema and chronic bronchitis to the list of smoking-caused illnesses.
- Other important causes of shortness of breath are asthma, emphysema, pneumonia, and clots to the lung.
- 2A condition in which air is abnormally present within the body tissues.More example sentences
- Our patient presented with mild dyspnea and dysphonia and demonstrated subcutaneous emphysema and Hamman's sign.
- Tachycardia may be present, as well as subcutaneous emphysema.
- She was unable to open her right eye because of the subcutaneous emphysema.
mid 17th century (in sense 2): via late Latin from Greek emphusēma, from emphusan 'puff up'.
More definitions of emphysemaDefinition of emphysema in:
- The US English dictionary