- A formula giving the proportions of the elements present in a compound but not the actual numbers or arrangement of atoms.More example sentences
- Butene and ethene have the same empirical formula CH 2 but different molecular and structural formulas.
- The simplest version of the formula is the empirical formula.
- The empirical formula of a compound is that which is obtained through laboratory research.
More definitions of empirical formulaDefinition of empirical formula in:
- The US English dictionary