- 1A female emperor: Queen Victoria was proclaimed Empress at Delhi in 1877More example sentences
- Constitutional changes to permit a female empress may thus trigger dangerous public debate about the need for a monarchy.
- It should be noted that Orchid's character is based on Tzu Hsi, who was China's longest-reigning female ruler and its last empress.
- China's emperors and empresses knew what they wanted.
- 1.1The wife or widow of an emperor: she became Empress of France as the wife of Napoleon IIIMore example sentences
- The emperor and empress met the Malaysian royal couple during a visit to Malaysia in 1970.
- Later emperors carried it further and in the second century AD empresses such as Sabina (wife of the emperor Trajan) were depicted as embodying, for example, pietas (family feeling).
- When she died, only four years ago at the age of 97, she was also the longest living empress consort in Japanese history.
Middle English: from Old French emperesse, feminine of emperere (see emperor).