- Having failed to obtain or achieve what one wanted: the burglars fled empty-handedMore example sentences
- He is more or less a professional hunter, but even he has been known to return from a goose hunt empty-handed.
- The man and boy were later spotted returning to the scene at around 7pm, only to be seen running away empty-handed.
- As has as often been told, however, the soldiers could not catch their quarry and returned empty-handed.
More definitions of empty-handedDefinition of empty-handed in:
- The US English dictionary