- The collection of pus in a cavity in the body, especially in the pleural cavity: [mass noun]: the treatment of empyema [count noun]: an empyema associated with liver abscessesMore example sentences
- These complications include pleural infection or empyema, meningitis, purulent pericarditis, or endocarditis.
- An empyema or complicated pleural effusion can be identified only by examination of the pleural fluid.
- Thoracic empyema is defined as an infection of the pleural space associated with the formation of thick, purulent, pleural fluid.
late Middle English: via late Latin from Greek empuēma, from empuein 'suppurate', from em- 'in' + puon 'pus'.
More definitions of empyemaDefinition of empyema in:
- The US English dictionary