noun[mass noun] Zoology
- An evolutionary increase in the complexity or relative size of the brain, involving a shift of function from non-cortical parts of the brain to the cortex.More example sentences
- Moreover, a trend toward increased encephalization within many mammalian taxa is widely recognized.
- The increased encephalization of the human fetus - the size of its brain and therefore its skull - compared with any other animal has meant that the female pelvis has had to expand even further to ensure safe passage.
- For example, it is known that major increases in encephalization occurred only after the appearance of early Homo.
More definitions of encephalizationDefinition of encephalization in:
- The US English dictionary