noun (plural encephalopathies)Medicine
- A disease in which the functioning of the brain is affected by some agent or condition (such as viral infection or toxins in the blood): a picture of how these encephalopathies are transmitted [mass noun]: patients with encephalopathyMore example sentences
- Both mad-cow and mad-deer disease are transmissible spongiform encephalopathies, in which brain proteins called prions deform, forcing other brain cells to degenerate along with them.
- Prions are special proteins believed to be the infectious agents responsible for transmissible spongiform encephalopathies, a group of rare, fatal disorders that slowly destroy the brain and nervous system.
- Hepatic encephalopathy occurs in patients with portal hypertension and cirrhosis.
More definitions of encephalopathyDefinition of encephalopathy in:
- The US English dictionary