1The action of encrusting or state of being encrusted.
- Pollutants in the atmosphere and the attentions of birds and humans cause discolouration, encrustation and corrosion.
- Slight variations in the diameter along the length of some filaments reflect either the degree of silica encrustation or septa in the original filament.
- For some microbes, initial encrustation involved the growth of small spheroids scattered irregularly along the length of the microbe.
1.1 [count noun] A crust or hard coating on the surface of something: the sides are white with encrustations of salt
More example sentences
- It grows as a surface incrustation on gastropod shells inhabited by the hermit crab Pagurus longicarpus.
- A white incrustation called efflorescence is often found on the surface of interior masonry walls.
- The Great White Way is a comfortable walking passage with white encrustations covering much of the lower half of the walls.
Definition of encrustation in:
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.