- A papal letter sent to all bishops of the Roman Catholic Church.More example sentences
- For the next hundred years, scholars, theologians, and students will be pouring over the papal encyclicals that have come out of the Vatican.
- Still, he relies exclusively on the magisterial expressions found in the new catechism and in papal encyclicals.
- At that time, English Catholic school children studied the papal encyclicals Rerum novarum and Quadragesimo anno.
mid 17th century (as an adjective): via late Latin from Greek enkuklios 'circular, general', from en- 'in' + kuklos 'a circle'.
More definitions of encyclicalDefinition of encyclical in:
- The US English dictionary