The mucous membrane lining the womb, which thickens during the menstrual cycle in preparation for possible implantation of an embryo.
More example sentences
- So the uterus prepares itself for an embryo, with an endometrium about 5 mm thick and well supplied with blood.
- Just like the normal endometrium, endometrial cells need the hormone oestrogen to survive and grow.
- It is vital to get your periods at regular intervals, otherwise it can result in a thickened endometrium.
late 19th century: modern Latin, from endo- 'within' + Greek mētra 'womb'.
- More example sentences
- Heat is used to remove the endometrial lining of the uterus, which is the main source of excessive menstrual bleeding.
- For instance, women with this are also at risk of endometrial and ovarian cancers.
- It is defined as the removal or destruction of the endometrial lining of the uterus.
Definition of endometrium in:
- The US English dictionary