Definition of endothermic in English:
1 Chemistry (Of a reaction or process) accompanied by or requiring the absorption of heat. The opposite of exothermic.
- Solar receivers absorb this concentrated solar radiation and deliver it, in the form of high-temperature heat, to a chemical reactor wherein an endothermic reaction results in the production of solar fuels.
- A reaction which has a positive value for this is an endothermic reaction and requires heat.
- This process is endothermic, pulling heat from its surroundings.
1.1(Of a compound) requiring a net input of heat for its formation from its constituent elements.
- This element forms extremely endothermic compounds, which are in many cases explosive.
- The highly flammable gas acetylene is an endothermic compound which can decompose extremely explosively when in its solid or liquid states or in its gaseous state under pressure.
2 Zoology (Of an animal) dependent on or capable of the internal generation of heat.
- However this strategy is not feasible for endothermic herbivores with a rapid metabolic rate and having limited time available to extract energy and nutrients.
- This bone structure similarity shows that dinosaurs were endothermic.
- The larger an endothermic animal, the more heat it generates relative to the surface area of its body.
- Example sentences
- We suggest that the slow endothermal reaction, which is shown in the last two titration experiments, can be associated with the insertion process.
Definition of endothermic in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan