1 [with object] Cause to swell with blood, water, or another fluid: the river was engorged by a day-long deluge
More example sentences
- This helps promote a pump - the full muscular sensation you get when your target muscles are engorged with blood and fluids - by ‘opening up’ your circulatory system.
- That taut feeling in your muscles when they're engorged with blood and fluids, where you can see every vein and you think that you muscles may explode - it's inspiring, right?
- If the pressure is not equalized by a larger volume of gas, the space will be filled by tissue engorged with fluid and blood.
- Example sentences
- In addition to teaching new parents how to know if their child is getting enough milk and how to manage engorgement, important concepts such as the supply and demand nature of breastmilk production can be reviewed.
- However, accurate determinations of species of tick and degree of engorgement are not routinely possible.
- Heart size is normal, and there are no findings of engorgement.
Late 15th century (in the sense 'gorge; eat or fill to excess'): from Old French engorgier 'feed to excess', from en- 'into' + gorge 'throat'.
Words that rhyme with engorgeforge, George, gorge
Definition of engorge in:
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.