- 1Cut or carve (a text or design) on the surface of a hard object: my name was engraved on the ringMore example sentences
- Then I began to study the emblem; an amazingly intricate design was delicately engraved on its surface.
- The first character of the signature is badly engraved and hesitantly formed.
- Waiting for Sean in the clubhouse was a beautiful five wood golf club with a hickory shaft with his name engraved on its smooth surface.
- 1.1Cut or carve a text or design on (a hard object): the crystal glasses were engraved with the Queen’s cipherMore example sentences
- On each table was an engraved lead crystal glass.
- Our glass was engraved and painted.
- Beginning in the sixteenth century, the Venetians engraved some of their glasses using a tool with a diamond tip.
- 1.2Cut (a design) as lines on a metal plate for printing: his drawings of public buildings were engraved by Edward RookerMore example sentences
- The bank engraves banknote images into metal plates by hand and uses special inks and watermarks to prevent forgery.
- In order to move beyond shoemaker Lane's effort and produce globes his neighbors would be proud to own, Wilson had to learn to engrave his maps on copper plates.
- He designed and engraved the plates for the first paper money in Massachusetts and established the first mill for rolling copper sheets.
- 1.3 (be engraved on or in) Be permanently fixed in (one’s memory or mind): the image would be forever engraved in his memoryMore example sentences
- But there is one picture from last week that will forever be engraved on the American memory.
- What she said though would be engraved in my mind forever.
- Everything I had experienced, everything I had learned that eventful summer would forever be engraved in my mind.
be engraved in stone
- see stone.
- More example sentences
- He illustrated many of its books himself and also employed engravers.
- He was a prolific copper engraver and etching artist of maps and town views.
- The range of his work is astonishingly broad: he was also an engraver, sculptor, photographer and interior designer.