- 1A print made from an engraved plate, block, or other surface: the scene is depicted in a contemporary engraving by William HogarthMore example sentences
- The enormous influence of his woodcuts and engravings turned the print into a significant and distinctively German art form.
- Works of art include paintings, engravings, prints as well as original sculptures or statues.
- The best illustrated edition of Jane Austen uses contemporary fashion plates, engravings of carriages, town scenes and so on.
- 1.1 [mass noun] The process or art of engraving a design on a hard surface, especially to make a print: the quality of his engraving established new standardsMore example sentences
- Artisans then begin the process of engraving on it.
- There he studied painting with him and learned the Western technique of engraving.
- Born, raised, and educated just outside of London, Barraclough initially learned the art of engraving from a Master English gunsmith in the late 1940s.