- Either of two peptide compounds occurring naturally in the brain, related to the endorphins and having similar physiological effects.More example sentences
- Within a few years, researchers had isolated two classes of peptide molecules, the enkephalins and the endorphins.
- Belief and expectation, cardinal components of hope, can block pain by releasing the brain's endorphins and enkephalins, thereby mimicking the effect of morphine.
- Endorphin and enkephalins are released, creating a euphoric effect.
1970s: from Greek enkephalos 'brain' (from en- 'in' + kephalē 'head') + -in1.
More definitions of enkephalinDefinition of enkephalin in:
- The US English dictionary