Definition of enlarge in English:
1Make or become larger or more extensive: [with object]: recently my son enlarged our garden pond (as adjective enlarged) an enlarged spleen
More example sentences
- The owners have had the property enlarged and carried out extensive modernisation.
- The liver and spleen may enlarge, so that they can be felt on either side, just below the ribs.
- Mr Bullimore said the farmer had a pond on his land enlarged and fenced off a 50m by 25m enclosure.
magnify, intensify, multiply;
stretch, swell, distend, bloat, bulge, dilate, snowball, mushroom, blow up, puff up, fatten, fill out, balloon;
widen, make/become wider, broaden, make/become broader, lengthen, elongate, make/become longer, deepen, make/become deeper, thicken, make/become thicker
1.1 [with object] Develop a larger print of (a photograph): very often a favourite photograph is enlarged and framed
More example sentences
- The photographs were then enlarged and the diameters were determined by scale measurements from the size marker.
- By clicking on each image, the physician can further enlarge the photograph to full screen size.
- She was on her way back from the forensics lab where she used their dark room to enlarge the photo of their suspect.
Middle English (formerly also as inlarge): from Old French enlarger, from en- (expressing a change of state) + large 'large'.
- Speak or write about (something) in greater detail: I would like to enlarge on this themeMore example sentences
- The same authors wrote both books, enlarging upon the first with new information, and ending with the 1940s rather than about 1920.
- Before discussing how he proposed to get from the state of nature to civil society, it is worth enlarging on the details of the argument, all of which have proved contentious for generations of Hobbes's readers.
- In the second, Sayers develops and enlarges upon a number of the central themes of her understanding of Christianity.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Spain
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan