Definition of enlargement in English:
1 [mass noun] The action or state of enlarging or being enlarged: talks on the enlargement of the EU [count noun]: nine new stores and two major enlargements are planned
More example sentences
- In sum, the changes prompted by enlargement will have a major impact upon the future shape and identity of the Union.
- In adults, growth hormone causes enlargement of soft tissues throughout the body.
- But these changes are necessary for enlargement, and they are not particularly major.
expansion, growth, increase in size, extension, amplification, augmentation, topping up, building up, addition, supplementing;
stretching, swelling, distension, dilatation, blowing up, puffing up, fattening, filling out, ballooning;
2A photograph that is larger than the original negative or an earlier print.
- Photographic enlargements of studios of famous artists at the beginning of the 1900s provide the background to a selection of objects that are similar to those these artiste might have owned.
- They are offering half price for enlargements printed for the Photo Exhibition.
- The next issue of the magazine carried a full-page enlargement of the same photograph.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.