Definition of enlargement in English:
1 [mass noun] The action or state of enlarging or being enlarged: talks on the enlargement of the EU [count noun]: nine new stores and two major enlargements are planned
More example sentences
- In sum, the changes prompted by enlargement will have a major impact upon the future shape and identity of the Union.
- In adults, growth hormone causes enlargement of soft tissues throughout the body.
- But these changes are necessary for enlargement, and they are not particularly major.
expansion, growth, increase in size, extension, amplification, augmentation, topping up, building up, addition, supplementing;
stretching, swelling, distension, dilatation, blowing up, puffing up, fattening, filling out, ballooning;
rare tumefaction, intumescence
2A photograph that is larger than the original negative or an earlier print.
- Photographic enlargements of studios of famous artists at the beginning of the 1900s provide the background to a selection of objects that are similar to those these artiste might have owned.
- They are offering half price for enlargements printed for the Photo Exhibition.
- The next issue of the magazine carried a full-page enlargement of the same photograph.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Spain
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan