Definition of enquiry in English:
noun (plural enquiries)
1An act of asking for information: the police were making enquiries in all the neighbouring pubs [mass noun]: her mind was buzzing with possible lines of enquiry
More example sentences
- On making enquiries he hears the Champion has moved down to another road.
- Recently a family were making enquiries about a Bernie Madden, long deceased now.
- Despite making enquiries the gentleman who found the money has still not located the owner.
1.1An official investigation.
- She say they are awaiting the results of the official enquiry.
- The exact circumstances of his death are to be investigated by three separate enquiries.
- A police accident and investigation team were called to the scene and an enquiry has been launched.
Words that rhyme with enquirydiary, expiry, fiery, friary, inquiry, miry, priory, spiry, wiry
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.