noun (plural enquiries)
- 1An act of asking for information: the police were making enquiries in all the neighbouring pubs [mass noun]: her mind was buzzing with possible lines of enquiryMore example sentences
- On making enquiries he hears the Champion has moved down to another road.
- Recently a family were making enquiries about a Bernie Madden, long deceased now.
- Despite making enquiries the gentleman who found the money has still not located the owner.
- 1.1An official investigation.More example sentences
- She say they are awaiting the results of the official enquiry.
- The exact circumstances of his death are to be investigated by three separate enquiries.
- A police accident and investigation team were called to the scene and an enquiry has been launched.