- Put (grass or another crop) into a silo or silage clamp in order to preserve it as silage: the grass was ensiled with sugar beet plus an inoculantMore example sentences
- When heavy infestations of corn smut occur, grain yields can be so severely decreased that the most viable economic alternative may be to harvest and ensile the crop.
- High nitrate levels persist when forages are cut for hay, but ensiling the crop reduces nitrates by one-half.
- Various approaches to ensiling crops have been developed, but many systems are expensive and are not suitable for emergency conditions or the small producer.
late 19th century: from French ensiler, from Spanish ensilar, from en- 'in' + silo 'silo'.
More definitions of ensileDefinition of ensile in:
- The US English dictionary