- A large pig-like mammal of the Oligocene epoch with two bony knobs on its lower jaw.
More example sentences
- Suborder Suina, order Artiodactyla
- Meanwhile the omnivorous niches were filled by giant pig-like entelodonts like Archaeotherium (shoulder height 1 metre), which retained short legs and low-crowned teeth.
- Among the creatures that walk the face of this new, cooler earth is the entelodont, a monstrous forerunner of the pig with massive shoulders and what must be the ugliest mug ever to have graced a living creature.
- The Asian indricatheres and the American entelodonts both flourished then died out during this epoch.
modern Latin, from Greek entelēs 'perfect' + odous, odont- 'tooth'.