Involving or passing through the intestine, either naturally via the mouth and oesophagus, or through an artificial opening. Often contrasted with parenteral.
- If surgery cannot safely be postponed, parenteral or enteral hyperalimentation should be started.
- Forty patients will be randomly assigned to either standard enteral nutrition or standard enteral nutrition containing a probiotic.
- Commonly, these infants need supplemental oxygen treatment for mild respiratory distress syndrome or parenteral nutrition until enteral feeds are established.
- Example sentences
- Additional benefits include the mandatory assessment for refeeding syndrome of all enterally fed patients, with appropriate feeding regimes, supplementation, and blood work for those found at risk.
- Neonates generally should not be fed enterally (by mouth or feeding tube) under certain conditions.
- The requirement for surgery was significantly lower in the patients fed enterally.
For editors and proofreaders
Line breaks: en|ter¦al
Definition of enteral in:
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.